What are the Duties and Responsibilities of a Designer?
- A Designer MUST have the Skills, Knowledge and Training & Experience (SKATE) to take on the role
- If the Designer appoints any other Designers or Contractors – Make sure they have the necessary SKATE
- Co-operate with everyone involved in the project and make sure everyone under their control co-operates with each other
- Report any Health & Safety issues that they become aware of to whom they are working for
- When providing information or instruction – make sure it is comprehensible and provided in good time
The Designer must
- Ensure that the Client is aware of their duties – if not they must not start
- Make sure that all designs take account of the General Principles of Prevention to identify and eliminate foreseeable risks to people building, maintaining, cleaning & using a structure where possible.
- Provide information about risks that cannot be eliminated to the Principal Designer
- Provide all appropriate information for inclusion in the Health and Safety File
- Provide information with their design to assist the client, other designers and contractors comply with their duties
Note - This page is for guidance only. Application on a project must comply with the official HSE issue of the Regulations